We are delighted to have received funding as part of Mind’s charity partnership with the EFL to bring the Get Set to Go programme to Stevenage.
Physical activity can play a vital role in the lives of people with mental health difficulties, reducing the risk of depression by up to 30%. Unfortunately we also know that many people who do want to participate in sport are being held back by their mental health; whether that’s feelings of low self-confidence, exhaustion or fear of crowded spaces.
We will be supporting people with mental health difficulties in the local community to enjoy the benefits of getting more active.
Get Set to Go will work in a number of ways
- Sign up to access taster sessions where you can try out different activities and see what suits you
- Access 12 week programmes to keep you physically fit
- If you are active already you can get involved by supporting others as a peer volunteer
- Work closely with partners such as Stevenage Football Club to deliver community sessions
- Create a more inclusive and welcoming environments within local sport and leisure facilities
- Offering free Mental Health Awareness for Sport and Physical Activity (MHASPA) training to sport sector staff and Peer Volunteers
It was good to focus on what I’m doing (swimming) rather than think about everything going on in life.
To register your interest and find out more contact:
Callum Kwasnik Outreach worker: [email protected]
Pop into our Stevenage wellbeing Centre for more details.